Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Searching for a Problem Resolution

Recently I chatted with Yahoo Support to resolve an issue with Search. This is a third time I have had this problem. Can you propose a theory why Yahoo doesn't document this issue?


Natalie: As you've mentioned, your mail search feature is not pulling up all possible results. Is that correct?

Jan Alden Cornish: yes, you said it well. THis has happened before and twice it was resolved by some undisclosed magic your team has in its arsenal of tricks

Natalie: Thanks for bringing this matter to our attention and I apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you.

Natalie: May I have the permission to access your account?

Jan Alden Cornish: yes, you have my permission

...

Natalie: Thank you.

Natalie: Sign out of your Yahoo! Mail account completely. Just tell me when you're out, okay?

Jan Alden Cornish: On both my machines?

Natalie: Please be sure that you will sign out to all your Yahoo! Mail account.

Jan Alden Cornish: Ok

Jan Alden Cornish: I spoke too soon. Now I am out

Natalie: Please provide us with the following information:

Natalie: 1. The key word you are using to search.

Jan Alden Cornish: Pardee

Natalie: 2. The location of the email. (Inbox, Trash, or other folders)

Jan Alden Cornish: Inbox

Natalie: 3. The number of search results you are expecting (estimate).

Jan Alden Cornish: probably around 15 but I have one exact email that was not returned that should be been in the search results

Natalie: 4. Number of search results you actually received.

Jan Alden Cornish: Now if I just exited all my email sessions, I can't answer that.

Natalie: Please hold for 2-3 minutes while I access your account and check it out for you.

Jan Alden Cornish: Please understand I have one email I know for sure should have been returned

Natalie: Yes, I understand.

Jan Alden Cornish: ok

Natalie: Thanks for waiting. I'm now done accessing your account and I was able to duplicate your issue.

Natalie: Please hold for 3-5 minutes while I try to troubleshoot your account.

Jan Alden Cornish: wow. Without my telling you the specifics of the email?

Natalie: I checked for the most recent mail.

Jan Alden Cornish: Yes, I found the email by searching on my Blackberry, and then locating it in my Yahoo inbox and then replying to it.

Natalie: Alright.

Jan Alden Cornish: ok

Jan Alden Cornish: these problems are preventing me from being as productive as I can.

Natalie: My apologies for the inconvenience.

Jan Alden Cornish: Thank you, I appreciate your empathy

Natalie: Thanks for waiting. I'm now done with the necessary troubleshooting steps.

...

Jan Alden Cornish: What is the root cause? Is it related to the size of my Inbox?

Natalie: No, Jan.

Natalie: Your mail account just needed to be refreshed.

Natalie: Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Jan Alden Cornish: Is there a user-level command in Yahoo Mail whereby I can execute the "refresh"

Natalie: Unfortunately, the refresh should be done at our end.

Natalie: Please tell me if you'll still encounter the same issue.

Jan Alden Cornish: The problem that I was experiencing was resolved.

Natalie: That's good to hear.

Natalie: For the meantime, could I help you with anything else?

Jan Alden Cornish: How often will this refresh need to be run>

Natalie: There is no exact time limit.

Natalie: Will there be anything else?

Jan Alden Cornish: Do I need to experience a problem with Search before requesting a refresh?

Natalie: Yes, Jan.

Jan Alden Cornish: Is a support document that provides a problem description?

Natalie: No, Jan.

Jan Alden Cornish: Ok, well, as long as your team is available to help with running this command...

Natalie: We are available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.

Natalie: Could I help you with anything else before you go?

Jan Alden Cornish: Would decreasing the size of my Inbox reduce the chance of this problem happening again?

Natalie: The size of your Inbox should not be the cause of this issue.

Jan Alden Cornish: That's good to know

Jan Alden Cornish: Thanks for your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment